Saturday, 20 May 2017

A Husband’s Guide to Hands-on Caregiving: CEO Pens New Book After Wife Succumbs to Brain Cancer

palmer
Widower shows men how to become a caregiver with the book that he wishes that he’d had
Boston, Massachusetts - When Patrick Palmer’s wife was diagnosed with cancer the first time, he discovered two things: One is that it is very hard to become a caregiver without a roadmap, and the other is there is a shocking scarcity of information specific to men who have never been in that role. After his wife, Angela died in February, 2016, Palmer wanted to help other men who may be in need of advice, especially from one who has been there. Although his caregiving experience was for a spouse, it’s applicable to a child, parent etc. and covers all afflictions, not just cancer.
“THE MOMENT the neurosurgeon told us that my wife had been diagnosed with Stage IV brain cancer, my world came crashing down. It was September 2011, and the prognosis was that she had six to twelve months to live. We had maybe one more year together? This was the most horrific news that I had ever been given. How was I going to care for her, and who was going to show me the way? I had to learn how to be a caregiver on my own. In this book, I want to share with you the many challenges I faced and how I overcame them, in the hope that I may be able to help you if and when you become a caregiver.”
A Husband’s Guide to Hands-on Caregiving is a no-nonsense road map is for the man who suddenly finds himself in the role of caretaker with crucial tips on how to take care of yourself and your loved one. Patrick Palmer has been there and shares invaluable advice for men, but his advice also hold true for women who may suddenly find themselves feeling overwhelmed. The book was recently released and is available on Amazon.
Patrick Palmer is a former airline pilot and YMCA CEO. He chairs the Angela and Patrick Palmer Research Fund for Brain Cancer, which benefits the Center for Neuro-Oncology at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. He lives in Newton, Massachusetts.